Sunday, June 16, 2013

Monday, June 9, 2013

An Interruption. . . 

I forgot to mention several important sites in Edinburgh that I saw yesterday.  I walked the Royal Mile clear to the bottom and chanced upon two places of which I had heard. The first was The Elephant Cafe, where J.K. Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book while  seated in the back room.  I did go in briefly, but the place was packed!

The second location is also a literary and historical reference.

I stopped by Greyfriar's Church and Cemetery.  This was the place where the National Covenant was signed on February 28, 1638, declaring Scotland's religious independence from the Anglican Church.  By this declaration, the people chose to take up arms against King Charles 1.  The Martyr's Prison where many of the Covenanters were incarcerated is close by.

Greyfriar's Church, a former Roman Catholic monastery, converted to Presbyterian Church, is also the site of one of my favorite childhood stories, "Greyfriar's Bobby," a novel describing the faithfulness of a Skye Terrier that attended the grave of his master each day for 14 years before his own death.

The train from Edinburgh to Alnwick was uneventful.  Nearby, although I did not go see it, is Alnwick Castle, which provided the backdrop for much of the Harry Potter movie scenes, particularly the outdoor scenes involving Quidditch practice and some of the scenes within Hogwarts Academy.

I arrived at Alnwick Station and suddenly discovered that the station has no town attached.  It is out in the middle of farm and dairy fields!  My ride arrived in a few hours, though, and I began my time at the Northumbria Community.

The community is a modern monastic community, scattered throughout Britain and now, the world, begun in the 1980s.  The Community House at Nether Springs is a restored stable on a huge estate farm.  The building is cut stone with a slate  and/or roof.  Everything is modern, well-appointed and comfortably attractive. 

People have come on retreat or sabbatical from all over England and all over the world.  My roommate, Tam, is from Hong Kong.  He is studying spiritual direction at Talbot Theological Seminary in Los Angeles.  The only other Americans are the wife of the Administrator, who lives here full-time, and a Lutheran pastor, her husband, and their little boy.  Everyone else is from the U.K.  Several are Baptist pastors on sabbatical or retreat, one is a member of Church Army, one is an Anglican woman taking her ordination retreat, land several are here just to seek a deeper relationship with God.

The practice of the Northumbria Community is "alone together."  The rhythm of the day involves four set times when we gather for prayer;  Morning Prayer, Mid-Day Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline.  The rest of the time, for those not part of the organized retreat (as I am), is given to study in the library, quiet prayer, walks in the neighboring countryside, or creative activities such as painting, sketching, writing, or craft work.

Many have asked me how I discovered the Northumbria Community.  In all honesty, I have answered that I was guided.  I did not begin here when I first began to explore Celtic Spirituality.  I found it along the way.  That has been the serendipity of my pilgrimage and journey.  I do feel guided.  I do feel directed. 

Every place I have been has been a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment