Thursday, May 30, 2013


I Am Not Carrying Coals to Newcastle

I find it somewhat ironic that my exploration of Celtic Christianity begins in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.  New Castle, Pennsylvania, my hometown, was named after Newcastle-upon-Tyne.  

The phrase "carrying coals to Newcastle" has always fascinated me.  I have heard it used ever since I was a little boy, perhaps because of where I grew up.  It means doing something unnecessary or superfluous.  After all, why would you carry coal to an area known for its coal mining?  That may be why my town of origin got its name.  Anthracite coal (hard coal) was deep-mined in Eastern Pennsylvania.  Bituminous coal (soft coal) was surface and strip mined in Western Pennsylvania.  The coal was used for the making of coke that was then used in the production of iron and steel.

Tomorrow the adventure begins...or rather, continues.

My plane leaves from Richmond International Airport at 12:15.  It flies to New York, then to Amsterdam, then to Newcastle, arriving at 8:00 AM on Saturday, June 1st.  

Monday I will take British Rail to Berwick-upon-Tweed so that I can (hopefully) catch the shuttle bus to Lindisfarne Island before the tide comes in and covers the causeway. 

The next post will come from the other side of the pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment